The school has implemented a dining club service which has enabled us to drastically reduce the cost of our school dinners for children across the school. We believe that eating in school should be a pleasurable experience: time spent sharing good food with peers and teachers.
We have reduced the cost of a school meal by means of an upfront payment covering each day in a half or whole term. A school dinner can be purchased for the reduced cost of £1.20 per day rather than the current cost of £2.20. This is a saving of £5 a week or £190 over the school year! This is only financially viable if enough families sign up.
These meals are prepared by our fully-qualified chef Steve Hodge who has over 24 years experience. He trained at Exeter Catering College and has worked at Exeter University and the Officers’ Mess at Lympstone.
Once you have viewed the current menu, you can fill out your child’s order on the dining club form and you will receive a confirmation email containing your choices.
The school food standards
- · Help children develop healthy eating habits.
- · Ensure that they get the energy and nutrition they need across the whole school day.
- · Cook food that looks good and tastes delicious.
- · Talk to the children about what is on offer and recommend dishes.
- · Eliminate queuing.
- · Serve the food in a pleasant environment where they can eat with their friends.
- · Provide a wide range of foods across the week including a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, pulses or types of meat and fish.
- · Use fresh, sustainable and locally-sourced ingredients
- · Talk to them about what they are eating.
The School Dining Club has become a national case study and is featured on the School Food Plan website where there is information and examples of good practice www.schoolfoodplan.com